I've gone through several drafts on what to say about 2016 but none of it quite suffices. The last twelve months has covered everything from political horrors, to personal joys, from devastating losses to musical triumphs. And it's the latter of these that's brings me to the below twenty albums.
Music felt like it should have been better in 2016. Like it should have held up more of a mirror to the year, and helped us through it. Whilst the below records are all very good (some of them are even great) pop as a whole needs to step up in 2017. It's not going to be an easy one.
But hey, at least there's never been a better time to be a Star Wars fan.
20. You Might Be Right – Happy Accidents
19. Stay Together – Kaiser Chiefs
18. Holy Ghost – Modern Baseball
17. E•MO•TION: Side B – Carly Rae Jepsen
16. Head Carrier – Pixies
15. Mono No Aware – Johnny Foreigner
14. I, Gemini – Let's Eat Grandma
13. Commontime – Field Music
12. Varmints – Anna Meredith
13. A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings – Beach Slang
10. From Kaplan To Belsize – Muncie Girls
09. Puberty 2 – Mitski
08. Love You To Death – Tegan And Sara
07. British Road Movies – Kate Jackson
06. Babes Never Die – Honeyblood
05. Blackstar – David Bowie
04. Impossible Dream – Haley Bonar
03. Still Valid – MJ Hibbett & The Validators
02. Teens of Denial – Car Seat Headrest
01. Blisters In The Pit Of My Heart - Martha